Tuesday, February 21, 2012

Mental strength

Today I came across this article by Chrissie Wellington, a 4-time Ironman Hawaii winner. The article is titled: "Ironman champ: Train your brain, then your body." The title says it all, she talks about how important mental training can be and shares some of the technique she has used to improve her mental focus.

It's no secret mental training is important. Yogi Berra is quoted as saying, "baseball is ninety percent mental and the other half is physical," which can be applied many things. There isn't much new in the article. In retrospect, I'm not sure why I read it, but it provoked other reactions from me.

As I read it, I was a bit surprised that I have almost never used of these techniques, nor any others on a consistent basis. I've completed many tough events, including multi-day ones, and gotten through some of lifes challenges. I certainly have a solid mental strength and I think most who know me would agree. So I wondered how did that happen? The only real conclusion I could draw is that it's practice. Being out there running, swimming, cycling, hiking, doing, over and over and over again. Until it's second nature and not much phases me.

The real question that came to mind was how to draw on or access whatever strength there is? What do we do in our heads, in our bodies, with our hearts to reach deeper? To make it through? Can we access it at any time? Are there times when it's particularly strong?

I've had a related conversation with a friend. She told a story of being on a run and just floating up hills, past her running companions, flying downhill, every step and stride perfect and finishing with a fantastic pace. She commented it was probably a fluke and that she couldn't do that again. The conversation continued with a 'could' versus 'wanted to'. I firmly believed that she could do it again, but whether she wanted or needed to was a different question.

I've been involved with ultracycling for 18 years, as a participant, as an organizer, as a supporter. I've seen thousands of people find their strength, gather it, build it, perservere. Even go deeper and farther than they thought they could.

For all I've done I don't have an answer for myself. The closest I can think of is something I remember from a book called 'At the Edge' by Kirk Johnson, which is a chronicle of his preparation and running of the Badwater 135 race. In the book Johnson talked about what he did when he wanted to stop in the middle of a run to walk or rest. He would ask the question - do I need to stop? There are times when stopping is needed for food or water, etc. Still I think that sums it up for me - there was no need to stop.

Or perhaps it's hope. We often need our strength in the deepest of struggles whether it's the last mile of a marathon, or the middle of the night on a 24 hour ride. At those times, we know it may get harder - and we also know it's going to get better. Better could be the finish line, better could be a sunrise, better could be a downhill, better could be a bowl of soup at the next town.

I don't know.

What I do know is that we ALL have more strength than we can possibly imagine. And somehow we call on it when we need it and it's always there for us.

No comments:

Post a Comment